viernes, 16 de mayo de 2008

Monkeys Are Not Humans

In these chapters I started to understand a little more about how Voltaire does to tell what he needs to. We can see how Europeans took over America and how not only Catholicism but Jesuits also exploited the natives. Also the hypocrisy of churches. “he father perceived that my eyelids stirred a little; he put his hand upon my breast and felt my heartbeat; upon which he gave me proper assistance, and at the end of three weeks I was perfectly recovered. You know, my dear Candide, I was very handsome; I became still more so, and the Reverend Father Croust, superior of that house, took a great fancy to me; he gave me the habit of the order, and some years afterwards I was sent to Rome. Our General stood in need of new recruits of young German Jesuits” I think this can be seen as a homosexual attitude which goes against what Jesuits think.

 

The other part I think it was very interesting was when Candide kills the monkeys that were the lovers of the women. I think that the monkeys were natives because everybody saw the natives as monkeys, running around speaking in a weird language.

No hay comentarios: